Friday, April 7, 2023
8:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Dr. Stephen J. Souza
This online course is structured to help you make the proper decisions regarding the appearance, function, or up-keep of your pond. Starting with design, learn how to build a pond, including the construction of embankments and dams and the selection and installation of liners. You will also learn how to create and maintain a stable shoreline, create and aquascape littoral benches, and optimize habitat for fish and aquatic wildlife.
Long-term maintenance of ponds – whether constructed for stormwater, irrigation, fishing, or aesthetic purposes – will also be discussed. Plus, discover new ways to maximize the aesthetics and wildlife attributes of your pond using aquascaping and bioengineering techniques! Learn how this innovative approach combines landscaping and evolving engineering solutions to correct eroded shorelines, create and maintain stable and attractive vegetative shorelines, and integrate native, non-invasive, easy to maintain, and attractive plant species into the design of new ponds or the retrofit of existing ponds.
- Selection, use, and application of aquatic pesticides to control invasive aquatic weeds and algae
- Use of non-pesticide, environmentally friendly techniques to control invasive aquatic weeds and algae
- Design and implementation of a dredging project, including the proper navigation of the environmental rules and regulations
- How to correctly select, size, and install various types of aeration systems
- Establishment and enhancement of fish habitat
- Stabilization of undercut and failing pond embankments
- Creation of buffers for nutrient and pollutant removal
- Implementation of vegetative strategies to control Canada geese
- Management of stormwater basins with respect to MS4 compliance requirements, including inspections, maintenance, repair/enhancement, and reporting/record keeping
Early Registration Fee: $375.00 (on or before March 20, 2023); Registration Fee: $395.00 (after March 20, 2023)
Rutgers NJAES Office of Continuing Professional Education
Suzanne Hills, 848-932-7234